123 Main Street, Anywhere, USA ~ (555) 123-4567 ~ [email protected]
EXECUTIVE-LEVEL LEADERSHIP | CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER
Marketing ~ Brand Management ~ Portfolio Strategy ~ Consumer Research ~ Product Development
Highly motivated, visionary, and performance driven marketing executive with over 20 years of success in developing highly successful and award winning marketing programs and advertising campaigns. Consistently succeeds in conducting domestic and international consumer and market research and developing comprehensive strategies to position products, pricing, and marketing to achieve targeted sales growth, while maintaining corporate and brand integrity. Recognized for utilizing innovative approaches and smart business decisions to achieve market positioning and sales targets.
- Forward-looking initiator, skilled at researching new products/ markets, and anticipating/ capitalizing on market trends to propel new business growth and revenues.
- Highly adaptable to new products, markets and industries. Embraces opportunities to learn new information at a rapid pace; able to identify key contributors to gain knowledge and define strategies for business growth.
- High-achiever with high moral character and integrity; consistently exceeds established goals, frequently earning honors and recognition for performance.
- Recognized for utilizing diverse marketing methods and tactics including advertising campaigns, public relations, marketing communications, social media and web based solutions.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Brand Development & Positioning ~ Consumer Research & Insights ~ Competitive Analysis ~ Strategic Planning Product Development & Introduction ~ Creative Development ~ Media Planning & Buying ~ Vendor Management Promotions & Sponsorships ~ CRM ~ Digital & Social Media ~ Budget Administration & Forecasting
RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
Detroit Free PressAutomotive Leadership Award for Marketing and Advertising, 2012
General Motors African Ancestry Network Award for Diversity Leadership, 2013
Advertising AgeMarketer of the Year, 2009
Recipient of Three Gold Effie Awards, One Silver Effie Award and One Bronze Effie Award for Advertising Effectiveness for a National Advertising Program (2012/ 2011/ 1994/ 1993) – General Motors; American Isuzu Motors
ARF David Ogilvy Research Innovation Award, 2012 – Chevrolet Silverado
KEY PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- Directed the marketing campaign for the 2013 launch of General Motors Corporation Chevrolet divisions’ C7 Corvette and Silverado truck platforms winning the North American Car and Truck of The Year Awards respectively.
- Led introduction of the Chevrolet Cruze entry in the compact car category. Achieved a 92% increase in year-over-year sales and gained a 2 percentage point increase of the segment share finishing its first year as the number two in overall sales.
- Spearheaded launch of the 2012 Chevrolet Sonic small car for General Motors Corporation. Achieved sales gains of 83% compared to previous model while dramatically reducing incentives and increasing transaction price and segment share; awarded the Gold Effie award for advertising effectiveness in 2013.
- Led introduction of Hyundai Motor America’s Vehicle Assurance Program allowing customers to return their vehicle if they were to lose their income; achieved a 9.5% increase in sales in a market that declined 17%.
- Developed Hyundai Motor America’s largest marketing launch for the 2005 Sonata vehicle line; increased sales by 22% in a market segment averaging a decrease of 7.1%.
- Increased sales of American Isuzu Motors Rodeo by 84% through the development of a new positioning strategy to differentiate the model from Isuzu’s Trooper.
CMO Sample ~ [email protected] ~ Page 2
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION, Detroit, Michigan, 2010 - 2013
Vice President of Marketing, Chevrolet Division
Controlled a marketing budget of more than $1B and managed an advertising and promotional team of more than 50 employees and 10 agencies with 250+ employees dedicated to the Chevrolet business. Developed advertising, media planning and buying for the U.S. market which incorporated promotions, web, social media, CRM, and sponsorships. Influenced pricing, packaging, incentives, and naming while establishing positioning and target audiences. Led marketing initiatives and advertising campaign introductions to the press, employees and dealers.
- Member of the global agency review and consolidation team charged with reducing 40+ Chevrolet creative agencies around the globe into one global agency, saving $30+MM in fees and costs; consolidated global media planning and buying for all brands within General Motors from over 30 agencies to one, saving $100+MM.
- Launched the Chevrolet advertising campaign with tagline “Chevy Runs Deep” to emotionally re-engage the American public with an iconic brand and celebrate the 100 year anniversary of Chevrolet; ad executions named 7 out of top 11 most effective auto commercials in 2011.
- Helped develop and execute new global marketing platform across organization and in over 140 countries.
- Executed several sponsorships for the launch of all-new Chevrolet Silverado, including Major League Baseball Home Run Derby, and University of Texas official vehicle status, the latter being cited by Advertising Age as one of six “Marketing Marvels” for 2013.
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA, Fountain Valley, California, 2000 - 2010
Vice President of Marketing ~ 2009 - 2010
Managed a $550M marketing budget and led an internal marketing team of 25 as well as a dozen outside agencies with more than 100 support personnel. Accountable for the Hyundai brand and all marketing related activities for Hyundai Motor America. Drove marketing strategy and conceptual development of programs. Defined new product launch strategies including repositioning, pricing, advertising, and PR. Directed market research studies to determine viability of project propositions as well as trends and opportunities in any market. Managed and coordinated all aspects of program implementation with cross functional partner groups to bring new programs to market. Identified needs for new products; approving all materials developed in support of programs.
- Negotiated $75M, four-year contract for the title sponsorship of NBC Sunday Night Football’s pre-game show.
- Leveraged Hyundai’s global Federation Internationale de Football Assoc. (FIFA) sponsorship in the U.S.; achieved the greatest lift of any brand associated with the event according to BrandWeek.
- Negotiated title sponsorship of the Hyundai Sun Bowl, to be played every New Year’s Eve in Texas.
- Created a consumer lead management process forecasted to return a 40% increase in dealer close rates.
Director of Marketing Communications ~ 2007 - 2009
Directed an internal team of 20 professionals, several outside agencies and a budget of $500M. Developed strategies and launched programs positioning Hyundai Motor America as a trusted and dependable brand. Re-established a presence in an under-tapped Hispanic niche market and secured new agency’s specializing in niche market creative and media strategies.
- Led the introduction of Hyundai’s Vehicle Assurance Program allowing customers to return their vehicle if they were to lose their income; achieved a 9.5% increase in sales in a market that declined 17%.
- Revitalized Hyundai’s web strategy, designed and developed a new corporate website and directed the strategic planning and launch of 75+ dealer association and 750+ individual dealer websites, resulting in an 89% increase in consumer traffic and 118% increase in lead volume; recognized by J.D. Powers & Associates as the “Most Improved OEM Web Site in the Automotive Industry.”
- Established a request for proposal, guidelines and timelines for a new general market creative agency selection process; conducted contract negotiations with a new agency and reduced expenses by 27%.
- Facilitated, with the Hyundai Dealer Advertising Association, the development of a plan to enable smaller markets with insufficient funds to afford advertising; achieved a market share increase of more than 20% in reformed markets.
CMO Sample ~ [email protected] ~ Page 3
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA - (Continued)
National Manager, Advertising ~ 2004 - 2007
Utilized in-depth product and market knowledge to manage advertising campaigns from strategy and creative development through production, optimization, and overall management. Developed and executed annual advertising plans for numerous campaigns. Monitored work of outside agencies to ensure the appropriate execution and media planning for effective mass advertising campaigns.
- Developed Hyundai’s largest marketing launch for the 2005 Sonata vehicle line; increased sales by 22% in a market segment averaging a decrease of 7.1%.
- Established the 2006 Azera launch campaign, resulting in a 38% market share increase for the first large car in the Hyundai line-up with an introductory price of $27,500.
National Manager, Brand Planning ~ 2000 - 2004
Provided strategic direction and leadership to brand management team. Developed short and long-term business objectives, product positioning, and branding strategies. Led brand development, designed marketing programs, and created consistent communications for all audiences. Drove performance in marketing with strong focus on quality, delivery, and profitability. Conducted market research, solicited customer input, and developed the infrastructure necessary for ongoing market success. Worked in conjunction with cross-functional groups to enhance existing products and develop/ launch new products.
- Created a product development task force, which facilitated the ability of Korean engineers and designers to garner direct feedback from U.S. consumers which resulted in the design of the Santa Fe CUV.
- Served as U.S. representative and lead strategist for Hyundai Brand Strategy Task Force; established a global brand direction for Hyundai, which was adopted worldwide.
ADDITIONAL WORK HISTORY:
- Operating Manager for Strategic Planning & Market Research with AMERICAN ISUZU MOTORS (1998 – 2000)
- National Advertising Manager with AMERICAN ISUZU MOTORS (1993 – 1998)
- Brand Development Manager with AMERICAN ISUZU MOTORS (1991 – 1993)
BS, Business Administration, California State University, Northridge, California
Former Member - Board of Directors, United Way of Southeast Michigan
Former Member - Board of Directors, GM Foundation
Board Advisor, Beyond Basics
Projecting your Brand in Marketing’s New World, Automotive News Seminar, Los Angeles
Q&A with Chris Perry of General Motors, Association of Magazine Media Conference, New York
Reshuffling of Automotive Brands, Automotive News Marketing Seminar, Los Angeles
The Role of Social CRM, Direct Marketing of America Convention, San Diego
Developing a Conversation around a Brand, Motor City West, Los Angeles
Quoted in various publications and websites, including, yet not limited to:
Wall Street Journal, Automobile, Business Week, Advertising Age, Crains Detroit Automotive News, Los Angeles Times, Detroit News/ Free Press, New York Times
We recommend these resources if you want to improve your resume and/or cover letter further:
MORE RESUME AND COVER LETTER EXAMPLES
Cover letter examples by industry
A good cover letter highlights the specific skills employers are looking for. Check out these cover letter examples for a variety of industries.
A great cover letter will show that you're the right candidate.
If you're wondering how to write a cover letter, you're in the right place! It doesn't matter what level you're at in your career—to get noticed by potential employers, your professional cover letter needs to knock their socks off. Your cover letter is much more than friendly greeting; it's a tool that lets hiring managers know that you're the candidate they've been hoping for.
Recruiters and hiring managers have seen every type of cover letter format imaginable. For maximum wow-factor, you must build a cover letter that highlights your industry-specific experience, accomplishments, and credentials.
Steps to write a cover letter
- Start with the proper greeting: Address your cover letter to the person who will be reading it.
- Introduce yourself with an opening: Write a personable, inviting opening paragraph that highlights how your skills are a perfect fit to the company and position.
- Get them interested with a compelling hook: Highlight your past achievements as they relate to the job you're applying for.
- Promote your skills: Highlight your additional relevant skills, such as computer languages or certifications.
- Thank them in the close: Briefly recap your strengths as a candidate, thank the reader for their time, and include your contact information.
If you need cover letter help, check out these cover letter templates for various careers and career levels in the following industries:
Administrative/Support Cover Letter Examples
Art/Design/Media Cover Letter Examples
Business Cover Letter Examples
Education Cover Letter Examples
Engineering Cover Letter Examples
Finance/Accounting Cover Letter Examples
Health Care Cover Letter Examples
Human Resources Cover Letter Examples
Job Search Cover Letter Examples
Law Enforcement and Legal Cover Letter Examples
Marketing and PR Cover Letter Examples
Military Cover Letter Examples
Nurse Cover Letter Examples
Restaurant and Hospitality Cover Letter Examples
Retail Cover Letter Examples
Sales Cover Letter Examples
Science Cover Letter Examples
Student Cover Letter Examples
Technology Cover Letter Examples
Trades Cover Letter Examples
Transportation and Warehousing Cover Letter Examples
Help hiring managers find your cover letter
When your cover letter is in good shape, don't let it just sit on your computer. You need to get it out there! Could you use a little help getting your cover letter in front of hiring managers? Join Monster today. As a member, you can upload up to five versions of your resume and cover letter—each customized to the kinds of jobs you're interested in. Recruiters search Monster every day looking to fill top jobs with qualified candidates, just like you. Make it easier for them to find you, and for you to find a job.