A well-constructed resume can punch your ticket to your next job. To build your resume on a solid foundation, view this sample resume below, and download the sample resume for a construction worker in Word. And if you need more help, get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's partner TopResume.
Dependable, hard-working Carpenter/Framer with proven record of success working on residential and large commercial building projects valued in excess of $11M.
- Expertise working with a wide range of construction materials and equipment; familiarity with building processes, from project initiation through completion.
- Knowledgeable in general carpentry, site preparation, concrete foundations, and framing practices; able to complete multiple projects skillfully within stringent timeframes.
- Proficient with hand and power tools to include core drills, air compressors, transit and lock levels, saws, chisels, planes, rules, squares, calipers, plumb bobs, carpenter levels, and marking gauges.
- Solid communication skills and possess trade-related math skills essential to a safe, efficient job site.
- Possess high school diploma, valid license with excellent driving record, reliable vehicle, good-quality hand tools, and the ability to lift up to 65 pounds.
Opart Corp. – Chicago, Illinois
Form and Frame Carpenter, 2014 to Present
- Contributing member of small crew responsible for footings, foundations, and framing stages of multimillion-dollar commercial projects.
- Utilize broad skills in construction to participate in excavation, site-preparation and various other building processes.
- Communicate with site supervisors and team members to complete project objectives on schedule.
- Consistently assume additional responsibilities and worked extended hours to meet project deadlines.
- Mentor junior team members, providing guidance on proper techniques and safety.
Ridge, Inc. – Chicago, Illinois
Carpenter / Framer, 2010 to 2013
- Gained valuable experience in building industry operations and processes as construction worker for full-service residential developer.
- Collaborated with teams to prepare building sites and support needs of project managers, supervisors, framers, plumbers, electricians, roofers, and finish carpenters throughout all phases of building projects.
- Key player on 4-member framing team responsible for delivering nine consecutive projects under deadline and in compliance with strict quality standards.
Kaddler, Corp. – Chicago, Illinois
Construction Laborer, 2008 to 2010
- Participated in broad range of construction projects involving demolition, site maintenance and clean up, materials transport, and general support of all phases of construction. Assisted framing and siding teams.
- Commended by Site Foreman for contributing to safe workplace environment by proactively recognized and reported safety hazards.
Think of the cover letter as your place and time to add value to your work resume and application. A well-written cover letter that applies to the construction industry and shows your qualifications will draw positive attention from the hiring manager. Check out this free construction laborer cover letter sample to get ideas on how to best write your document. The writing tips that follow can further help you make a great introduction.
Free Construction Laborer Cover Letter Sample
Dear Mr. Prescott,
I enjoy working with my hands and doing tasks on construction jobsites. I believe my skills, experience, and work ethic make me an ideal candidate for your open construction laborer position at the Build Right Company.
In high school I had the opportunity to take two semesters of on-the-job apprentice training in the construction field. I received a lot of positive feedback from my instructors about my desire to work hard and my ability to learn new things quickly. I assisted the craft in everything from lifting building materials into position to sorting electrical wiring to enable it to be installed.
Now that I have graduated from high school, I would like to take this positive experience and turn it into my line of work. In addition to my job training, I also took vocational classes in mechanics and applied mathematics.
I look forward to speaking with you soon about this position. I will be a hardworking addition to your work crew. Thank you for consideration.
What to Include in a Construction Laborer Cover Letter
It is to your advantage to include language that includes keywords from the job description. This implies dedication and shows contractors that you’ve done your research and know what to expect. Also, follow the example in the free construction laborer cover letter sample and never write document that is longer than one page. Keep the language straightforward and professional, and refer to highlights of your experience and skills. Finally, address the reader by name, and end with a thank you.
Industry Specific Skills to Include
In addition to the examples in the free construction laborer cover letter sample, here are some specific skills to include that may make your letter even more relevant to the construction industry.
• Physical strength and stamina: Laborers regularly lift construction materials that are over 50 pounds. In addition, they are required to be on their feet throughout their shift.
• Color vision: The ability to distinguish colors is helpful in various construction trades, especially when you are assisting electricians with different colors of wire.
• Mechanical skills: Knowledge of tools and machinery is a plus for jobs that involve operating equipment.
• Mathematical skills: Practical math skills in measurement and calculation will come in handy on a construction job site.
• Punctuality: Clients want jobs finished on schedule, and managers want employees who will show up on time.